Appologies first, I'm now beginning to doubt that the two germinations that I claimed I had some weeks ago (hot water germination) were actually D.hopwoodii as they did not look like the image below. I barely got a look at them then had to go off on the job for a week, by the time I got back there was nothing worth looking at. All I can say is that I might have forgotten to sterilize the red sand that I brought home with me.
It seems my luck changed today as there are two new puppies for me to play with, the image below shows one of them, the inset on the right is the image of a seed that I took some years ago, the texture of the seed case still on the Plumule is evidence of its identity.
Vital stats are:-
Treated in GA-3 for 2 days at 1000 ppm
Placed on surface of sterile cactus mix
Covered with 2 mm of fine sharp sand
Kept in a Tupperware container on an East facing windowsill
(as per typical cactus germination setup)
Germination time : 19 weeks
So far 2/35 seeds germinated
As for the seed itself, this is not going to be an accurate germination trial as only about 10% of the seed planted could be said to have been sourced from 'mature' drupe (it was too early in the season).
hmmmmm... image doesnt seem to work....
well its on the Photo Gallary anyway